Thursday, January 17, 2013

flowers in my veins

After the wondrous flowery adventure that was the weekend with Sarah Ryhanen of Saipua and Nicolette Camille {who works under her own very pretty name} I am feeling very focused on all things blooming. I cannot believe I was lucky enough to trip about to the markets with them, it was great to be there from the choosing of stock at the markets to the final arrangements. And all the splendid moments in between. Both girls are so talented and so lovely. They are really different but compliment each other perfectly and I think are tremendously good teachers.

Their passion and drive is truly infectious. They both feel so strongly about what they do and pour themselves into every arrangement. As we were packing up on the last day,  asked them where they thought they would wander over the next few days before flying home and Sarah said they might go to some more flower farms and buy gorgeous things for themselves and just make big arrangements. That really made me smile.

Sarah also told me all about her farm north of New York, dubbed 'World's End'. It sounds such a rewarding, difficult place to be and work. She and her partner {and adorable dog, Nea} have done such a lot and still have a huge amount of work ahead. I plan to visit in September/October and do some wedding work for Nicolette and Sarah. I have never traveled to America and would really like to be there for their Fall.

The Little Flower School style is so precious. I love how they create so many layers and moments in their arrangements. I have always loved that with flowers-having subtle little interactions between the blooms that take time for the viewer to find and appreciate. It's like getting lured in by a whisper.

This is the arrangement I made on our first day which was focused on center pieces, such an important part of a wedding. I was pretty happy with what I made. I adore the peach garden roses. The came from Tammy at the markets. They always have the most gorgeous, delicate, fragrant roses. I'd love to go to their farm one day. 

Little Flower School was such an incredible experience, I would recommend it to anyone considering falling headlong into deep flower obsession.

table center


other side-suprise daliah!



No comments:

Post a Comment