Tuesday, January 22, 2013

an afternoon off, a little plant wondering, a little rain

I had such a great day off pottering about the house, dreaming of my plant buying adventure at the markets early tomorrow morning-wondering if it's too late, or early?! to be finding begonias there, specifically Rex Cultorum-which is the plant which grew these artful beauties:


to me it really looks like the skirt of a dancer

the prettily veined underside of a begonia leaf {such colours!}

The array of colours this plant comes in just astounds me. I am very excited to read that they make good indoor plants-my room has many many {too many, perhaps} dried branched, moss laden twigs, dried flowers etc etc strung up on walls and light fittings and window sills so I'd love to add some plants. I recently collected a few silvery Dichondra plants which are growing so beautifully and I think they'd be very good companions. I was reading a book about Constance Spry-she was describing a house she visited where ivy was rambling it's way into the house through a window and was slowly sprawling from picture frame to candlestick. This is something that would make me very happy.


drying little clumps of hydrangeas to make a flower crown for a friend









Dichondra cascade


dichondra in situ. doing well

The dichondra {silver falls is the name of variety, pretty apt} is much hardier than it appears. It is very heat and drought resistant and I can't believe how quickly it grows-the tendrils which lie on the dirt form roots rapidly-I am hoping to take a few cuttings to friends. This plant also comes in a few different shades, I'd love to see them. Does anyone know much about other lovely vines/drapey growers? I'd love to expand my collection and knowledge.








No comments:

Post a Comment