Monday, January 28, 2013

eggplants. grown and baked




so delightfully glossy

So we've been growing eggplants this season and they look incredible. It's such a healthy plant bearing gorgeous deep dark luminous fruit {or vegetable?}. I have always adored eggplant. Such full voluptuous shape and I like the mystery of the transformation from raw and spongy to the silken roasted flesh of this curious vegetable.



roasted beauties


Again, it was an Ottolenghi recipe that drew me: [http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Eggplant-with-Buttermilk-Sauce-365110]. This dish is actually gracing the front cover of 'Plenty'. It is very simple to make and the texture is divine. The buttermilk-garlic-yoghurt was great, the garlic is left raw so it adds a nice tangy warmth to the simple sauce. I am not usually one of sauces but this was quite lively and well balanced {and terribly easy to prepare}. I had some left over and mixed it through some lentils with green beans, a little Spanish onion and pommegranate seeds. It is a very versatile sauce, I'm sure I'll be using it more oft.


they really were delicious. and quite fetching visually

There are about 7-8 more little egglets on the way, at the moment they are more {chicken} egg size but they do grow kind of rapidly so I look forward to more meals with them. If anyone has a great recipe using eggplant, please let me know-I usually just slow bake them with thyme or make baba ganoush.






2 comments:

  1. Ooh yum. I just discovered this gem by Bill Granger. Miso Eggplant

    3 tbsp light flavoured oil
    500g eggplant, chopped
    2 tbsp mirin
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp caster sugar
    1 tbsp white miso paste
    4 spring onions, cut into 5cm lengths

    Heat up wok to medium- high heat. Add oil, when hot, stir fry eggplant for 10 minutes. Mix mirin, soy, sugar and miso in small bowl, add to wok with spring onion, stir fry 1 minute.

    Super delicious! I tried to grow my own, but my seeds didn't take... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah so great! Thank you ever so much! I first fell in love with eggplant at Uchi Lounge somewhere near the city end of Oxford St. They served something similar. I can't wait to try this delight at home. I'm sad to hear about your seeds not sprouting. Once they start, they are indestructible and so prolific it's almost frightening {but not really at all, just incredible}

    ReplyDelete