Monday, December 23, 2013

flannel wanders // wood workin'

The only antidote for the gear box dropping out of a van you've owned for four days is to be taken on an adventure where you see plenty of wild flannel flowers growing in the bush.

It's a peculiar and oddly comforting feeling to see them growing wild and honestly having no inclination to cut them.

Ahhh flannel flowers. I am utterly undone by you, everytime.










These {and many many more} are to be found at Manly Dam. You'll see lots of birds {rosellas, crows, black swan, herons, kookaburras, m a s s i v e geese, ducks} and lizards {water dragons and other ones that I can't yet identify but I plan on getting my hands on some sort of reptile/bird watching literature as we are moving to the mountains and I want to nonchalantly impress visitors with my knowledge of the land and its creatures}.

I found a whole heap of old fence pailings at a council pick up about a week ago. I made a low little bench/shoe rack to act as a pedestal for my boyfriend's not insignificant collection of running shoes and then I made a planter for our tomatoes/herbs/probably will just be lots of scented geranium because I adore them more than anything.

I love projects like this where you just bumble along and figure it out as you go. I really like using my dad's old power tools. He is one of those wonderful people who know how to make anything.
This planter took about an hour. I want to become a carpenter.

Why is it so satisfying to build things?







No comments:

Post a Comment