Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I've wandered gardens






In 2011 I had the great good fortune to go on my first European jaunt. I went to France, Italy and Germany. I traveled by myself for five weeks and met my mum and dad in the South of France as they had hired a barge and traversed the Canal du Midi. It was a splendid trip, I saw rural France in spring. It was terrifically indulgent. Driving around, past canola fields of the most vibrant yellow and green, lilac blooming everywhere. It was a dream.


canola fields


lilac!
growing wild and free


One highlight was a visit to Jardins de l'Imaginaire in Terrasson-Lavilledieu. A formal garden founded in 1996, it is a cleverly designed garden which plays on all your senses. There is a golden sculpture, an Ariadne's thread, which winds through the trees, weaving in and out of sight. Glimpses of it are supposed to ensure you aren't ensnared by any sprites, keeping you safe and on the right path.

Iris
lovely white wisteria 

The garden has beautiful water features, woodland areas, mazes and green tunnels with arching wisteria, rose gardens and many iris. One part which delighted me was where the stepping stones were too far apart {even to skip/hop} so you must gently walk on the plants, which were particularly fragrant ones {rosemary, lavender etc}. This released their lovely scent into the afternoon air. 


and of course, there were hellebores

No comments:

Post a Comment