Sunday, September 15, 2013

Walkin' the High Line




Traces of tracks 

Excellent avenues












This morning I caught the subway to manhattan and explored The High Line. This is the most wonderful space. It gave me that excellent joyous feeling where I walk around with a smile and I suspect people think I'm drunk-except for the ones who are also smiling and then we just nod at each other and sometimes I do an awkward single or double eye wink. Good times. 

Anyway, almost as soon as I mounted the steel stairs to this great park, a lovely local grandpa figure all in white {sun visor, glasses, shirt, shorts, socks, shoes all glowing white} started chatting to me and pointed out buildings that I would have missed because I often think that I only see plants and flowers wherever I am and my tunnel vision precludes me from seeing the rest. 

The High Line was a railway which until about 7 years ago was a reportedly unsightly spectacle that was lobbied to be torn down until some enterprising individuals noted the wild flowers growing on it and turned it into a privately funded park space. It is such a treat! It's right in the city but elevated enough that you are aware of the traffic sounds/busy life noises but you are removed enough that it is muted and kind of a nice reminder that you are in a wonderful landscaped garden walkway in the midst of the city. 

Great elements have been retained, original tracks peep through the greenery and are echoed by the lines in the wooden benches and steel embedded in the concrete paths. There are generously sized wooden sun lounges scattered throughout and great sculptures and viewing platforms. The whole walk is spectacular, a seamless blending of old and new both in the park and in its surrounds. It is currently about 1 mile long with ongoing work being done to expand. 

What a space!

No comments:

Post a Comment